BOSTON — Occupy Boston protesters who brought a large, fire-resistant military tent for their camp have taken it away after the city refused to allow it.
Fire officials and inspectors turned the tent aside Monday during a noontime scene planned by the protesters, who said they wanted to make a point.
“So this was completely on purpose,” said protester David Lenhert, 19, of Framingham. “We knew exactly that this was going to happen. And it was all about just having all the cameras there, all the people there, and showing everybody how ridiculous the city is being.”
The officials said protesters don’t have a permit for the 10-person tent, and repeated that they aren’t allowed to make a permanent camp.
Protesters said they’re trying to address fire safety concerns the city raised in a court hearing last week. The protesters are asking a judge to bar the city from clearing out the camp. The city says it has no immediate plans to do that.
Occupy members clashed with police last week over an attempt to bring an industrial sink to camp.
With reporting by The Associated Press and the WBUR Newsroom