The Associated Press

Mass. Officials Announce 1st West Nile Death

BOSTON — State health officials say a Worcester man has died of West Nile virus, the second death from a mosquito-borne illness this summer in Massachusetts.

The Department of Public Health said Friday the man in his 60s also had “severe underlying medical conditions” when diagnosed last month.

Officials said Thursday another Worcester County man in his 70s died of Eastern equine encephalitis.

Health officials also announced three new cases of West Nile, two Boston area women and one Middlesex County woman. One of the Boston cases was announced earlier Friday by city health officials.

There have been 10 cases of West Nile and two of EEE this year.

The last West Nile death in Massachusetts was in 2005. Another man died of EEE in the state last year.

Please follow our community rules when engaging in comment discussion on wbur.org.
Most Popular