BOSTON — Mohegan Sun would give Revere between $25 million and $30 million in guaranteed annual revenue — with the potential for more money in later years — under a host community agreement the casino operator and the city announced Monday.
Recent Casinos Coverage
- 9/16/14: How Everett, Revere Reacted
- 9/16/14: Suffolk Downs: ‘Devastating’
- 9/16/14: Wynn Plan In Everett Is Picked
- 9/8/14: Will It Be Mohegan Or Wynn?
- 9/4/14: The Casino Repeal Effort Is Looking More Like A Long Shot
- 8/12/14: Expert On Market Saturation
- 7/14/14: 1 Way Mass. Casino Law Differs: Money For Neighboring Towns
- 6/24/14: Voters Can Decide Fate Of Casino Law, Mass. High Court Rules
- 6/13/14: Mass. Grants First Casino License To MGM Springfield
- 5/8/14: Crosby Recuses Himself From Eastern Mass. Casino Vote
- 2/27/14: Plainville Gets Slots License
- Google Map: The Casino Proposals
Mohegan Sun is seeking to open a $1 billion resort-style casino on 42 of Suffolk Downs’ 52 acres in Revere. The host community agreement would go into effect if state gambling regulators award Mohegan Sun the lone eastern Massachusetts casino license.
Under the deal, Mohegan Sun would also offer Revere: up to $33 million in upfront payments; $40 million in infrastructure improvements; $1 million for Revere public schools; $4 million for police and fire departments; and a new athletic field and community center.
The deal would also outline a job preference for Revere residents.
“I believe that this agreement will be transformational to the City of Revere,” Mayor Daniel Rizzo said in a statement. “Through this partnership, Mohegan Sun and Suffolk Downs will create jobs, enhance our local and state economy, and generate much needed revenue.”
Revere residents last month approved a different Suffolk Downs proposal, which would have straddled both Revere and East Boston. That proposal was killed after East Boston voters rejected the plan.
If Mohegan Sun and Suffolk Downs’ Revere-only proposal is approved by voters, it will compete with an Everett proposal for one casino license available in eastern Massachusetts.
— Here’s the deal (via Scribd):