Overview: Interns serve as a link between WBUR’s Newsroom and content published on wbur.org.
As a WBUR.org intern you will:
- Edit materials for wbur.org integrating text, still images and video content as well as links to relevant resources/past coverage.
- Build out reports initially created by broadcast staff by adding additional quotes/background to create a more complete web story. This includes content from newscast and Radio Boston.
- Gain experience with producing the homepage, other relevant WBUR verticals.
- Instruction on WBUR’s CMS.
- Gain experience learning how WBUR uses social media like Twitter and Facebook.
- Learn aspects of visual storytelling with photo editing, packaging.
- Assist producers and reporters with story research.
- Additionally, interns may be asked to help produce story elements with third party tools like Storify and Instagram.
Educational benefits: Intern will gain hands-on web production experience – including copy editing, headline and tease writing, exposure to SEO practices, HTML, and more. This internship also allows for those qualified to explore other aspects of online news production like social media production, photography and videography. Interns also have the opportunity to go out with our reporters and observe and assist in their reporting of a story.
Experience: Send us your resume, two writing samples and a short cover letter describing your web production and multimedia skills and experience. Please also provide links to your website and Twitter handle if you have them. Have you had previous newsroom or internship experience, or worked with Photoshop and WordPress? Let us know.
Time commitment: Flexible, 16-40 hours a week.