News Department Internship
[ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2014]
Application Deadline: The deadline for all News Department Internships is December 1, 2014.
Overview: Interns in the News Department help gather information for news summaries and expanded feature reporting. Interns work with producers and reporters to find information, conduct interviews, select audio clips and write copy.
Skills: Candidates should be interested in Greater Boston news and current events and in radio as a medium. Strong research skills, computer literacy and knowledge of WBUR programming are preferred. Quick grasp of the facts, resourcefulness, strong writing and the ability to work under deadline pressure are useful skills, also the ability to work in collaboration with a news team. Interns must be able to focus quickly on tasks and communicate effectively with colleagues, as well as with interviewees and research sources.
- news gathering: monitor news wires (Associated Press), research stories
- write copy
- track down interviewees, source/contact details
- submit interview requests
- record short interviews in the field and on the telephone
- select and edit sound bites for cut/scripts
- assist reporters in the field
- work independently in the field
Computer programs used:
- Adobe Audition (digital audio program)
- NewsBoss (newsroom automation system)
- Content Management System (“CMS” for wbur.org)
Time commitment: A minimum of two five-hour shifts each week (Monday through Friday)