Swine Flu Update
The World Health Organization raised its alert level to number 5, one notch below full-scale pandemic. So how contagious is it really, how many people are likely to get it and how deadly could it be? Matt McGrath, science correspondent for the BBC, is our guest.
'The Sicario' Speaks
In his latest report from the frontline of the drug-related violence in Mexico, journalist Chuck Bowden tells the story of a hitman in Juarez — a man who tortured and killed people for the drug cartels. The hitman, known as The Sicario, is no longer a killer. He says he has found God, but now there's a contract on his head. Bowden's story about the killer is in the May issue of Harpers.
Climate Change with Columnist Thomas Friedman
Two new studies published today in the journal Nature say that current goals of cutting Carbon Dioxide emissions are not dramatic enough to sufficiently slow global climate change. We speak with New York Times Columnist Tom Friedman about what he says is the only solution. We caught up with Friedman at Boston's Museum of Science, where he was recently awarded the Washburn award for his writing on the environment.
Student Financial Aid Deadline
Tuition deposits are due at many colleges on May 1st, but Gail MarksJarvis, who is the personal finance columnist at the Chicago Tribune, says it's not too late for students to try to negotiate better financial aid deals.
A.R.T. and 'Hair' Director Diane Paulus
Music from the show
- Tito Puente, "Royal T"
- Steve Reich, "Nagoya Marimba"
- Steely Dan, "My Old School"
- Vince Guaraldi, "Linus and Lucy"
- “Hair," from "Hair," Lyrics by James Rado & Gerome Ragni, music by Galt MacDermot
- “Let the Sunshine in," from “Hair,” Lyrics by James Rado & Gerome Ragni, music by Galt MacDermot
- “Let a Little Sunshine In," from “Best of Both Worlds,” Lyrics by Randy Weiner, Music by Diedre Murray
- “86 Years," from “Red Sox Nation,” Lyrics by Willie Reale, Music by Robert Reale
- "Aquarius," from "Hair," Lyrics by James Rado & Gerome Ragni, music by Galt MacDermot
- Radiohead, "There, ThereThe Wee Trio, "About a Girl"
This program aired on April 30, 2009.
Support the news
Support the news