The Pros And Cons Of Renting And Buying
Part of the American Dream has long meant owning a home. But is renting a better idea? New York Times Business Columnist David Leonhardt has been crunching the numbers and speaks with us about when it makes more sense to buy or rent.
The Downside Of Air Conditioning
Obama Administration Deports Record Number Of Illegal Immigrants
A judge in Arizona has sided with the Obama Administration, blocking parts of the state's new controversial immigration law. The law was scheduled to take effect tomorrow, Arizona officials are now scrambling to react to the new ruling. Meanwhile, while suing to stop the Arizona law, the Obama Administration has been aggressively deporting a record number of illegal immigrants-- more than the Bush administration did-- but it's not being done through high-profile raids at factories that made headlines a few years ago.
It's in part happening under the radar, because of little-known partnership programs between the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency and local police, such as "Secure Communities" and the 287(g) program, that enable local police to work with federal agents enforce immigration laws. We speak with Daniel Denvir, who's written about the programs for Salon.com.
From Hanson To An Afghani-American Voice: Listeners Share Summer Music Picks
Music From The Show
- Peter Dixon, "Nagog Woods"
- Moby, "Inside"
- Freddie Hubbard, "Little Sunflower"
- The Lickets, "Meat City"
- Joe Jackson, "Steppin' Out"
- Talking Heads, "This Must Be the Place"
- Florence + The Machine, "Dog Days Are Over"
- Band of Horses, "Laredo"
- The Black Keys, "Everlasting Light"
- Hanson, "MMMBop"
- Hanson, "Thinking 'Bout Somethin"
- Ariana Delawari, "Singwind"
- Ariana Delawari, "We Came Home"
- Blu Cantrell, "Hit 'Em Up Style" performed by Carolina Chocolate Drops
- Larry Crane, "Tropical Depression"
- John Mellencamp, "Small Town"
This program aired on July 28, 2010.
Support the news
Support the news