Support the news

Ecuadorian Man Charged With Brockton Murders

The international police agency Interpol has issued an arrest warrant for the Ecuadorian man accused of murdering a Brockton woman and her 2-year-old son last month.

Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy Cruz says he's making every effort to get Luis Guaman back to Brockton from Ecuador to face murder charges.

Guaman was picked up in his native Ecuador hours after the bodies were found for using a fake passport.

"It's my legal responsibility to prosecute the person who's responsible for committing these vicious murders," Cruz said. "That's what I intend to do. I don't think this individual should be allowed to evade exposure to criminal prosecution by running away and hiding in another country.

"We've been having numerous conversations with Ecuadorian officials, prosecutors and also our own Department of Justice in trying to make sure we can continue to pursue the individual whom we believe and whom we allege murdered Maria [Avelina Palaguachi Cela] and Brian."

Cruz says police found extensive evidence in the trash bin where the bodies were found that links Guaman to the murders.

This program aired on March 2, 2011. The audio for this program is not available.

+Join the discussion
TwitterfacebookEmail

Support the news