In an address to an audience at Columbia University last week, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stated that homosexuality does not exist in Iran. The comment prompted derisive laughter from his audience and put a spotlight on the hostile treatment of gays and lesbians in the Muslim world.
Parvez Sharma, the filmmaker behind the documentary A Jihad for Love, discusses the underground world of homosexuality in Muslim countries. Filmed in 12 countries and nine languages, the documentary profiles men and women who struggle daily against persecution, danger and social isolation.
- Criticism of Ahmadinejad May Help Him at Home
- Gay Community Thrives in Lebanon
- Gay Muslim's Case Puts Focus on German Asylum Law
- Gays in Pakistan Risk Harsh Islamic Retribution
- Woman Seeks Islam Reform
- Slate's Explainer: Gays and Religion
- 'A Jihad for Love'
Copyright NPR. View this article on npr.org.