DJ Kool Herc is known as the father of the DJ breakbeat — isolating and repeating breaks, the most danceable portions of songs that form part of the foundation of modern hip-hop. He also wrote the introduction to the recent book Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation by Jeff Chang.
Kool Herc kicks off Fresh Air's Hip-Hop Week, featuring interviews with the greatest names in rap. (This interview originally aired March 30, 2005.)
Related NPR Stories:
- 'Can't Stop, Won't Stop' Site
- Rapper Melle Mel: Delivering 'The Message'
- DJ and Hip-Hop Pioneer Grandmaster Flash
- 'Can't Stop, Won't Stop': A History of Hip-Hop
- 'That's The Joint': A Scholarly Study of Hip-Hop
- 'Rapper's Delight' Turns 25
- Political Activism and Hip-Hop Culture
- Double-Dutch Jump Roping in the Age of Hip-Hop
- Breakdancing, 'Present at the Creation'
Copyright NPR. View this article on npr.org.