Pianist Monty Alexander grew up in Kingston, Jamaica. His earliest musical experiences came from the folk and popular songs of his country, as well as from the calypso rhythms that originated from Trinidad. Alexander moved to Miami in 1961 and worked in clubs before moving in 1962 to New York City, where he performed at Minton's Playhouse.
Alexander was Marian McPartland's guest in 1991. Known for his rhythmic approach and melodic and harmonic inventiveness, Alexander solos in his original "Look Up" and teams up with McPartland for an unusual duet.
Originally broadcast in the winter of 1991.
- "Look Up" (Alexander)
- "The River" (Alexander)
- "Brown Skin Girl" (Traditional)
- "It's You Or No One" (Cahn, Styne)
- Nat King Cole Medley: "Unforgettable" (Van Heusen)
- Nat King Cole Medley: "Walkin' My Baby Back Home" (Alhert, Turk)
- Nat King Cole Medley: "Nature Boy" (Ahbez)
- Nat King Cole Medley: "Sweet Lorraine" (Burwell, Parish)
- "Twilight World" (McPartland)
- "Meet The Flintstones" (Barbera, Goodwin, Hanna)
Support the news
More NPR or Explore Audio.