Dutch, Australian Experts Reach MH17 Debris Field In Ukraine
The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe has some good news this morning:
Remember, experts from Australia and The Netherlands have been trying to get to the debris field of the downed Malaysia Airlines jet in eastern Ukraine for a week. Every time they attempted a trip, they were thwarted by heavy fighting.
Speaking to CNN, OSCE spokesman Michael Bociurkiw said that for the first time senior experts were at the scene of the tragedy to begin their investigation.
Bociurkiw said he was standing at the perimeter of the field and he could still smell the stench of the remains. The team, he said, is prepared to recover those remains.
"We will finally give those remains proper care and dignity," Bociurkiw said.
Giving experts access to the site became an international affair. Earlier this month, the United Nations Security Council voted unanimously on a resolution that called for unrestricted access to scene for investigators.
It was just a few days ago that Secretary of State John Kerry denounced the separatists who control that area of Ukraine. He said by continuing their fighting and keeping experts away from the debris field, they "displayed an appalling disregard for human decency."
Bociurkiw told CNN he was confident that the Dutch and Australian experts would now have continued access to the site.
OSCE SMM monitors reach #MH17 crash site for 1st time in almost week, accompanied by 4 Dutch, Australian experts. Used new route to access— СММ ОБСЄ в Україні (@OSCE_SMM) July 31, 2014