Make A Year-End Gift From Your IRA
Making a gift through your IRA is another easy way to support WBUR if you are age 70 ½ or older.
The IRA Charitable Rollover was first enacted as part of the Pension Protection Act of 2006 and has been extended through 2013 in the American Tax Payer Relief Act of 2012. This law allows you to make a charitable gift, free of tax, directly from your IRA while excluding the amount of that gift from your adjusted gross income (AGI.)
Advantages of using this asset to make a gift to WBUR:
- The IRA Charitable Rollover permits you to make donations directly to charitable organizations such as WBUR from your IRA without counting the distribution as part of your AGI and, consequently, without paying taxes on it.
- You don’t recognize the distribution as income for federal income tax purposes
- The distribution counts towards your minimum required distribution for the year.
- You must be 70-1/2 or older and required to make an annual distribution from your IRA.
- Your total combined charitable IRA rollover contribution cannot exceed $100,000 in any one year.
- Charitable contributions from an IRA must go directly to a public charity that is not a supporting organization. Contributions to donor-advised funds and private foundations, except in narrow circumstances, do not qualify for tax-free IRA rollover contributions.
- Distributions can only be made from traditional Individual Retirement Accounts or Roth IRAs. Charitable donations from 403(b) plans, 401(k) plans, pension plans, and other retirement plans are ineligible for the tax-free treatment. Distribution must be made directly from the IRA trustee payable to WBUR or another non-profit.
- You cannot receive any goods or services in return for your charitable IRA rollover contribution in order to qualify for tax-free treatment.
- You must receive an acknowledgement from WBUR or other charity for each rollover contribution.
We recommend that you seek advice from your accountant prior to making a charitable rollover as personal circumstances can have a significant impact on whether charitable rollovers are advantageous. In order to benefit from the 2010-eligible IRA contribution, contact your IRA administrator as soon as possible as some administrators may place a deadline on requesting transfers. And remember, the deadline for this year is December 31, 2013.
For more information about making an Charitable IRA Rollover contribution to WBUR contact Darrell Byers at 617-353-7376 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contribute to WBUR monthly. You’ll ensure WBUR is here for your community and help to reduce on-air fundraising!
WBUR Membership has its benefits. Get special access to events and use your Membercard to get great deals.
A gift of $1,500 or more makes possible the news and original programming that are hallmarks of WBUR.
A gift of stock can bring meaningful financial and tax benefits to both you and WBUR.