The goal of WBUR is to provide its interns with a substantive, meaningful work experience so that each intern concludes the internship period with demonstrable skills in his/her area of interest, plus a knowledge of public radio, in general.
All of WBUR’s internship positions are unpaid. Each position varies, however, in terms of the total weekly commitment, the specific hours worked and the responsibilities involved.
The following dates are approximate:
- Fall: September 1 – December 31 (apply after July 1)
- Spring: January 1 – May 31 (apply after October 15)
- Summer: June 1 – August 31 (apply after January 1)
Start and end dates are flexible, depending on station needs and each intern’s availability.
Positions are open until filled.
Intern candidates must be a matriculated undergraduate or graduate student, or have earned a higher degree within twelve months of beginning the internship. Depending on the position, a degree or concentration in broadcast journalism is preferred but not required. (Please note that WBUR does not accept high school students as interns.)
Students interested in receiving course credit must present the written consent of an adviser prior to beginning the internship.
How to Apply
Read through the descriptions (see below) of WBUR’s various internship positions and the time commitment involved.
Visit wbur.org to familiarize yourself with WBUR’s online presence and overall efforts in the digital space.
Required: Send the following as attachments to the appropriate department/program:
- a current resume
- a brief cover letter, describing the skills you believe you will contribute to the position in question and the experience you hope to gain.
Optional: Writing and audio samples may be sent as attachments or URLs.
After You Apply
If WBUR is interested in interviewing you for an internship, a staff member from the relevant program or department will contact you directly.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
Answers to FAQs
You may apply to no more than two different internships per semester.
Individual cover letters and resumes should be sent to each program/department you wish to apply to.
Questions related to specific positions should be directed via email to the relevant department/program.
Due to the number of applicants, WBUR will notify only those individuals selected for internships. Please check this page, or each program’s individual website, for internship updates as appropriate.
WBUR INTERNSHIP POSITIONS
- Community Engagement and Marketing internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
- News department internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
- Here & Now internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
- On Point internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
- Only A Game internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
- Radio Boston internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
- Cognoscenti digital internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
- Here & Now digital internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
- wbur.org internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
- ARTery digital internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
- Healthcare Savvy internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR Fall 2015
- CommonHealth internship NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME
- For a listing of paid employment opportunities at WBUR, please consult Boston University’s website.
For a listing of volunteer opportunities at WBUR, please go to WBUR’s Volunteer Page.
- WBUR is committed to seeking qualified candidates for all job openings and to offer equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability or national origin.