- All chemicals used in the salon shall be properly labeled and stored, including chemicals that have been removed from their original containers.
- A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) that lists the ingredients in each chemical and the risk of exposure must be kept on site and readily available for review by public health inspectors and salon employees.
- Multi-use tools, including manicuring instruments, must be cleaned and disinfected after each use.
- Single-use tools may not be reused.
- Foot spas must be sanitized before and after each client and at the end of the day.
- Nail technicians must wear impermeable gloves when handling chemicals that are potentially damaging to the skin or when performing any procedure that has a risk of breaking the client’s skin.
As WBUR reported this morning, the regulations are not aimed at closing salons down, but rather at keeping everybody — workers and clients — safe.
This program aired on January 14, 2011. The audio for this program is not available.