Though we keep hearing reports that the record industry in on the verge of collapse, Here and Now's jazz aficionado James Isaacs says there's some reason for hope, at least in the area of jazz, where two record labels are celebrating major anniversaries this year: Blue Note records turns 70, and ECM is 40.
Music for James Isaacs Jazz Anniversaries
- Meade Lux Lewis, “The Blues, Part One” from the CD The First Day.
- Thelonius Monk, “Criss Cross” from the CD The Complete Blue Note Recordings.
- Norah Jones, “Don’t Know Why” from the CD Come Away with Me.
- The Blue Note 7 “Inner Urge” from the CD Mosaic-A Celebration of Blue Note Records.
- Jan Garbarek, “Visible World-Scuro” from the CD Visible World.
- Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, and Jack DeJohnette “Scrapple from the Apple” [Live] from the CD Yesterdays.
- Peter Bernstein Trio, “Well You Needn’t” from the CD Monk.
This program aired on February 6, 2009. The audio for this program is not available.