Compensation at AIG
Edward Liddy, who is chairman and CEO of American International Group, testifies before Congress today on why the troubled firm gave employees bonuses ranging from $1,000 to $6.5 million after receiving $170 billion in government assistance. We get the latest Gail Chaddock of the Christian Science Monitor. We also hear from New York Times Business Columnist David Leonhardt about "retention pay," and Alex Edmans, at the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania about what he calls "dynamic incentive accounts."
As foreclosures continue to pile up, there are parts of Detroit where homes are selling for as little as $1. A group of local artists have started buying up foreclosed properties - and they're hoping to transform their neighborhood in the process. We speak with Gina Reichert, one of the artists.
Pope Benedict XVI Visits Africa
We speak with Ohio University assistant professor Nick Creary, who studies African Catholicism. We hear how the religion is growing in Africa and how the church's policies on things like condom use resonate with Catholics there.
West Side Story Returns
"West Side Story" returns to Broadway, but with a twist. Members of the Puerto Rican gang, the Sharks, and their girlfriends are played by Spanish-speaking actors. Our guest is Arthur Laurents, who wrote the book of the musical, and who directs this production. The 91-year-old Laurents has been busy — this month he also published a memoir: "Mainly on Directing: Gypsy, West Side Story, and Other Musicals".
Music from the show
- Peter Dixon, "Nagog Woods"
- Paul Simon, "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover"
- The Wee Trio, "About a Girl"
- Yo-Yo Ma, "Bach: Suites for Solo Cello"
- Charles Mingus, "Pedal Point Blues"
- Prologue, West Side Story, Original Broadway Production
- "Siento Hermosa" (I Feel Pretty), West Side Story, 2009 Production
- Quintet, West Side Story 2009 Production
- "Jet Song," West Side Story, Original Broadway Production
- "Cool," West Side Story, 2009 Production
- "Un Hombre Asi" (A Boy Like That) West Side Story 2009 Production
- "Somewhere," West Side Story, 2009 Production
- Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic, "Somewhere" (Adagio), West Side Story
This program aired on March 18, 2009.
Support the news
Support the news