More Details in the New York Terror Plot
James Gordon Meek of the New York Daily News tells us about the four men charged with attempting to blow up two Bronx synagogues and plotting to shoot down a military plane. They are being held without bail in New York.
Remembering Tiananmen Square
13-year-old Daniel Hauser and his mother Colleen are still on the run, fleeing from what they fear will be a Minnesota judge's ruling ordering chemotherapy to treat Daniel's Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Mrs. Hauser believes her son is an elder and a medicine man in the Nemenhah Band and Native American Traditional Organization, and the Hausers believe the group's herbal supplements will cure him. We speak with Professor of Religious Studies and American Indian Native Studies Michelene Pesantubbee.
Search Engine Takes on Google and Listener Letters
Wolfram Alpha is a new search engine that can compute Pi to the 1,000th digit, tell users the nutritional value of a tuna sandwich, or find the Hubble space telescope in the night sky. The engine's founder wants to take all the world's information and make it easy to pull apart and analyze. We put Wolfram Alpha to the test with David Weinberger of Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet & Society.
Here and Now's Jazz aficionado James Isaacs joins us with some new music for consideration, including Jane Monheit's and Allen Toussaint's takes on songs made famous by June Christy and Thelonious Monk.
Music from the show
- The Lickets, "A Crowd of Pimps in the Rain"
- The Benevento, "Sunny's Song"
- The Doors, "Peace Frog"
- Thelonius Monk, "Caravan"
- Theme from “2001: A Space Odyssey”.
- Paul Potts, “Nessun Dorma” from the CD “One Chance”
- Harry Secombe “Nessun Dorma” from the CD “My Favorite Carols”
- Bobby Morganstein “Sex in the City” from the CD “The Complete TV Themes #23 Vol. 1”
- June Christy “Something Cool” from the CD “Something Cool”
- Jane Monheit “Something Cool” from the CD “The Lovers, the Dreamers and Me”.
- Jane Monheit “Slow Like Honey” from the CD “The Lovers, the Dreamers and Me”.
- Thelonious Monk “Bright Mississippi” from the CD “Monk’s Dream”.
- Allen Toussaint “Bright Mississippi” from the CD “The Bright Mississippi”.
- Martial Solal “On Green Dolphin Street” from the CD “Live at the Village Vanguard”.
This program aired on May 22, 2009.
Support the news
Support the news