Health Care Overhaul
Congress has put forth plans for a massive overhaul of our nation's health care system. Contentious debate is certainly still to come, but the outlines for long term care coverage, subsidies, expanded insurance options from the government, not to mention how to pay for it, are taking shape. We speak to Naftali Bendavid of the Wall Street Journal's Washington D.C. bureau for a snapshot.
Sotomayor's 'Ricci' Ruling
We examine Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor's participation in a ruling last year to strike down a claim of reverse discrimination brought by Frank Ricci, a white firefighter from New Haven, Connecticut. The U.S. Supreme Court is expected to overturn that ruling this month. We speak with Emily Bazelon, Legal Affairs Editor at Slate and founding editor of Slate's "XX" blog for women.
Environmental Sensors in Cell Phones
Imagine if in addition to making calls and snapping photos, cell phones could measure air pollution or pollen levels? We speak with Eric Paulos, assistant professor at Carnegie Mellon University's Human Computer Interaction Institute in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, about his research into tiny environmental sensors he hopes to implant in cell phones soon.
Presidential Elections in Iran
The mud is flying — leading candidates are accusing each other of corruption and more — and the economy is a top issue. We look ahead to this week's presidential election in Iran with the BBC's Lyse Doucet who is in Isfahan, Iran.
Violinist David Garrrett
Violin virtuoso David Garrett helped support his studies at the Julliard School by modeling and it seems to have paid off: He has had gold records and sold out concert halls in Europe. We speak with Garrett about his CD "David Garrett," which he just released in the U.S.
Music from the show
- Peter Dixon, "Nagog Woods"
- Freddie Hubbard, "Little Sunflower"
- Calexico, "Corona"
- Ahmad Jamal, "Patterns"
- “Summer” performed by David Garrett on the CD “David Garrett”.
- “Smooth Criminal” performed by David Garrett on the CD “David Garrett”
- Zigeunerweisen (Gypsy Airs), Opus 20, No. 1 for Violin and Piano by Pablo de Sarasate, performed by David Garrett in studio
- "Concerto in E minor Opus 64" by Felix Mendelsson, performed by David Garrett in studio.
- "Flight of the Bumblebee" by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov performed by David Garrett in studio.
- “Carmen Fantasie” performed by David Garrett with Paco Pena on the CD “David Garrett”
This program aired on June 10, 2009.
Support the news
Support the news