Iran's Disputed Election
Iran's supreme leader is ordering an investigation into allegations of election fraud after the re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Today's announcement follows a weekend of violent street protests against his victory. We speak to the BBC's Sadeq Saba, analyst for the BBC's Persian Television Service and Fawaz Gerges, professor of Middle Eastern Studies and International Affairs at Sarah Lawrence College. His latest book is: "The Far Enemy. Why Jihad Went Global."
- Watch a BBC video from the protests in Iran (scroll down)
Today is Global Wind Day, but in some parts of the U.S. there's less to celebrate according to a new study which shows average and peak wind speeds declining. The study, to be published in August in the Journal of Geophysical Research, says global warming may be to blame. Our guest is study co-author Eugene Takle, professor of Atmospheric Science at Iowa State University.
Going Green in India
With a population of over a billion, how does India keep its economy booming and preserve its environment? Journalist George Black recently traveled through the country expecting to come back with stories of ecological disaster. What he found instead was a growth in local "green" entrepreneurship which joins traditional and modern methods to satisfy India's growing demand for water, electricity, and automobiles. George Black's report from India is the cover story in the current issue of OnEarth, published by the Natural Resources Defense Council.
Moving Past Jazz 'Standards'
Recently, several jazz groups have been venturing outside the great American songbook for inspiration. Here and Now's jazz aficionado James Isaacs brings us songs by Nirvana, Wilco, Rufus Wainwright, and Bob Dylan reinterpreted by The Bad Plus, Dave Douglas, Jim Hall and Bill Frisell.
Music from the show
- Air, "Mike Mills"
- Freddie Hubbard, "Little Sunflower"
- Tito Puente, "Royal T"
- The Doors, "Peace Frog"
- Joe Jackson, "Steppin' Out"
- Kurt Cobain, “Lithium," performed by The Bad Plus on the CD “For All I Care”
- Wilco, “Radio Cure” on the CD “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot”
- Wilco, “Radio Cure” performed by The Bad Plus on the CD “For All I Care”
- Rufus Wainwright, “This Love Affair” on the CD “Want Two”
- Rufus Wainwright, “This Love Affair” performed by Dave Douglas with Brass Ecstasy on the CD “Spirit Moves”
- Bob Dylan, “Masters of War," performed by Jim Hall and Bill Frisell on the 2-CD set “Hemispheres”
This program aired on June 15, 2009.
Support the news
Support the news