Why is Sarah Palin Resigning?
With speculation swirling about why the Alaska governor resigned, the FBI has taken the unusual step of declaring that she is not under investigation. Alaskans are still trying to make sense of the resignation. Our guest is Libby Casey, Washington DC correspondent for the Alaska Public Radio Network.
Special Criminal Courts for the Mentally Ill
About a hundred defendants a year appear before Judge Charles Poston, who on Tuesday afternoons holds a special court session that is the state's only mental health court. 43 states have similar courts. In Judge Poston's court, defendants agree to follow a treatment plan drawn up by case managers, psychiatrists and probation officers, in hopes of reducing their sentences. We'll speak to Judge Poston about his court and to Chris Yanez, who was a defendant in it.
Who Pays for Michael Jackson's Memorial?
Thousands of fans will be in Los Angeles tomorrow for Michael Jackson's memorial service. But with California broke, and LA having the same financial challenges others cities are having, who will foot the bill?
Robert McNamara Remembered
The former defense secretary, considered by many to be the architect of the Vietnam War, died early today at his home in Washington. We speak to filmmaker Errol Morris, who directed a documentary about Robert McNamara called "The Fog of War."
Earth, Wind & Fire's Philip Bailey
With Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members Earth, Wind & Fire on tour this summer, we revisit our conversation with the band's lead singer, Philip Bailey. When Bailey was in our studios earlier this year, he demonstrated that his four octave voice is still going strong, after more than 30 years in the music business.
Music for the Show
- Kar Kar Madison, "Boubacar Traore"
- Tito Puente, "Royal T"
- Paul Simon, "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover"
- Jimi Hendrix, "Machine Gun"
- Philip Glass, “100,000 People” from the soundtrack of “The Fog of War”
- Earth, Wind, & Fire, "Shining Star"
- Earth Wind, & Fire," After the Love has Gone"
- Earth Wind & Fire, "Boogie Wonderland"
- Earth Wind, & Fire, "Reasons"
- Earth Wind, & Fire, "Getaway"
- Earth Wind, & Fire, "Fantasy"
- Philip Bailey, "The Star Spangled Banner"
- Earth Wind & Fire, "September"
- Earth Wind, & Fire, "The Way of the World"
This program aired on July 6, 2009. The audio for this program is not available.
Support the news
Support the news