Life and Death Decisions During Hurricane Katrina
During Hurricane Katrina four years ago, the medical staff at Memorial Medical Center in uptown New Orleans struggled with life and death decisions about who could be helped and who could not. Forty-five patients eventually died, and a doctor and two nurses were accused of administering lethal doses of morphine and other drugs to nine patients. The physician, Anna Pou, defended herself on national television saying she helped patients through their pain, and didn't euthanize anyone. A new investigation contradicts that claim. Our guest is Dr. Sheri Fink whose story appeared in this week's New York Times Sunday Magazine.
Once nearly extinct and federally protected, the grey wolf is in the cross hairs of hunters in Idaho starting today, and will be later this month in Montana. A lawsuit attempting to stop the hunts and re-list the grey wolf as endangered is still being decided by a federal judge, who heard last minute arguments yesterday in Missoula, Montana. We speak to Eve Byron with the Helena Independent Record.
Women in Combat
Women are banned from serving in frontline combat positions in the US Army, but the demands of the US-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan mean those ground rules are breaking down. So far more than 100 American and British women have died in the two wars. The BBC's Lucy Williamson joins us from London. And we'll also speak with Paula Broadwell, a West Point graduate, now at the Center for Public Leadership at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government. Broadwell's recent op-ed in the Boston Globe argues that regardless of the policy, women are already in combat roles.
A Trio of Stars
Music from the show
- Sigur Ros, "Nybatteri"
- Freddie Hubbard, "Little Sunflower"
- The Lickets, "Meat City"
- Joe Jackson, "Steppin' Out"
- Sonny Rollins, "Get Happy"
- Radiohead, "Where I End and You Begin"
- Bela Fleck, “Bubbles,” performed by Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain, and Edgar Meyer
- Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain, Edgar Meyer, “The Melody of Rhythm Movement 1”
- Zakir Hussain, “Raag Chandrakauns”
- Zakir Hussain “Bahar” performed by Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain, and Edgar Meyer
- Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain, Edgar Meyer, “Cadence"
- Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain, Edgar Meyer “The Melody of Rhythm Movement 2”
- Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain, Edgar Meyer “The Melody of Rhythm Movement 3”
- Edgar Meyer, “Then Again” performed by Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain, and Edgar Meyer
This program aired on September 1, 2009.
Support the news
Support the news