Obama Delays Trip In Bid To Save Health Care Reform
President Obama is delaying his trip to Indonesia next week as the deadline he set for passage of health care reform looms. Today, House democrats are meeting again to try to iron out the problems that could derail the president's effort. Rick Klein, senior political reporter for ABC News and author of The Note for abcnews.com, joins us with the latest.
Walmart Goes For Local Food
The world's largest retailer is buying food and produce that comes from farms located within a day's drive of a Walmart distribution center. With Walmart's massive buying power, it could give a huge boost to local farms. But how sustainable is the program? And how does Walmart food taste, compared to products from organic food giant, Whole Foods? Corby Kummer covered the story in the current issue of The Atlantic Magazine.
DIY-ers Hang Hydroponic Gardens At Home
- DIY-ers create hydroponic farms in their homes. (Courtesy photo)
South Pole Explorer's Diaries Reveal Agony of Defeat
In March 1912, British explorer Robert Scott and his team died on their return trip from Antarctica. They had failed in their attempt to be the first to visit the South Pole, beaten by a team from Norway. Despite the failure, Scott has gone down in British history as a hero, largely because of what he wrote in his diaries. The BBC's Alan Johnston looks back on this history.
Violin Virtuoso Rocks Films, Orchestras And Folk
Grammy-winning violinist Hilary Hahn is multi-faceted: She has performed concerts with folk-rocker Josh Ritter, played on the soundtrack to M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" and this week she performs Prokofiev with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. We speak to Hahn about her eclectic career.
Music From The Show
- Ahmad Jamal, "Patterns"
- The Lickets, "Meat City"
- Christian McBride, "Brother Mister"
- Talking Heads, "This Must Be the Place"
- Jean Sibelius “Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D minor, op.47 Allegro moderato” performed by Hilary Hahn
- James Newton Howard “The Gravel Road” performed by Hilary Hahn
- Josh Ritter “Bone of Song” with Hilary Hahn
- J.S. Bach “St. Matthew Passion, BWV 244 Erbarme dich” performed by Hilary Hahn and Christine Schafer
- Josh Ritter “Girl in the War” with Hilary Hahn
- Arnold Schoenberg “Concerto for Violin and Orchestra op. 36 Finale: Allegro”
This program aired on March 12, 2010.
Support the news
Support the news