Can The GOP Capitalize On The President's Comments About The Muslim Center In NYC?
With midterm election campaigns in full swing, Republican candidates have called on Democratic opponents to come out one way or the other on the proposal to build a Muslim center and mosque in lower Manhattan. We speak with Rick Klein, senior Washington editor for ABC World News and co-host of the ABC News/Washington Post political webcast, "Top Line."
Are All Soldiers Heroes?
A retired Air Force officer says no, simply joining or serving in combat does not make you a hero. William Astore, who teaches history at the Pennsylvania College of Technology, joins us to talk about his recent essay, "Every soldier a hero? Hardly", that appeared in the Los Angeles Times.
Kosovo Edges Forward As An Independent State
The International Court of Justice in the Hague recently said that Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence from Serbia in 2008 did not break international law. The decision may prompt more countries to recognize Kosovo's independence, which Serbia rejects. But Kosovo faces huge problems, including opposition from its Serb minority, corruption, and a heavy reliance on international assistance. So can it emerge as a functional state? The BBC's Mark Lowen reports.
Opening The Here & Now Mailbox
Robin responds to your letters, calls, e-mails, and website comments. If you have a comment for us at Here & Now, click here to get in touch with us.
Travie McCoy Breaks Big With 'Billionaire'
The pop hit "Billionaire" has been all over the radio this summer. We speak with the man behind the song, Travie McCoy — who has just released his first solo CD, "Lazarus."
Music From The Show
- Peter Dixon, "Nagog Woods"
- Ahmad Jamal, "Patterns"
- Nathan Milstein, "Bach: Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin"
- Volcano Choir, "Sleepymouth"
- Usher (feat. Pitbull), “DJ Got Us Fallin’ in Love”
- Lady Gaga, “Alejandro”
- Eminem (feat. Rihanna), “Love the Way You Lie”
- B.o.B. (feat. Hayley Williams), “Airplanes”
- Travie McCoy (feat. Bruno Mars), “Billionaire”
- LaRoux, “Bulletproof”,
- Katy Perry, “California Gurls”
- Travie McCoy, “Feel Good”
- Travie McCoy, “We’ll be Alright”
- Gym Class Heroes, “Cupid’s Chokehold/Breakfast in America”
- Travie McCoy, “Akidagain”
- Bobby Womack, “Across 110th Street”
This program aired on August 17, 2010.
Support the news
Support the news