Super Bowl commercials have become must-see TV for many, but some advertisers are finding a new way to get their message to consumers: by producing television shows themselves.
Before Fox begins its official Super Bowl coverage on Sunday, the network will air Rent-a-Center's "Inside the Rings with Troy Aikman," featuring Aikman and other NFL superstars, past and present. General Motors is producing "Inside The Vault," a men's lifestyle show that will feature GM vehicles. Several companies are also hiring big Hollywood names like Martin Scorsese to produce straight to the Internet mini-films to promote their products.
Here & Now media analyst and B.U. Mass Communication professor John Carroll joins us to discuss this trend of branded entertainment.
- General Motors New Promotional Vehicle: "Inside The Vault" trailer
- Rent-A-Centers Owns Some Airtime: "Inside The Rings With Troy Aikman"
- Martin Scorsese's "Bleu de chanel" film
- Lady Dior starring Ian McKellen and Marion Cotillard
- Here & Now: Superbowl preview: Steelers hope lucky beard comes through
This segment aired on February 4, 2011.