Here & Now's Robin Young visits Columbia University and meets a group of students who are trying to make ends meet and stay in school.
Low-income college students have challenges beyond tuition, room and board. They can have trouble paying for food. A group called First Generation Low Income Partnership, or FLIP, is trying to change that.
- Toni Airaksinen, a freshman at Barnard College from Cleveland, Ohio. She runs the Columbia University Class Confessions Facebook page.
- Keenan Smith, a freshman at Columbia University from Flint, Michigan. He tweets @KeenanSmith__.
- Roxanne Padilla, a freshman at Barnard College from Houston, Texas.
- Mandeep Singh, a senior at Columbia University from New York City. He is a founder of the First Generation Low Income Partnership (FLIP) at Columbia. He tweets @MandeepSinghNY.
- Andrew Lawson, a junior at Columbia University from Atlanta, Georgia. He tweets @AP_Lawson.
This segment aired on April 9, 2015.