Americans will be watching tonight as hundreds of U.S. athletes in Rio take part in the opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics.
It turns out the IRS will be watching, too.
Prize money won by American Olympic athletes is taxed just like any other income. And as Brian Mann from Here & Now contributor North Country Public Radio reports, there's a push to change that.
This segment aired on August 5, 2016.
- Who Are Some Of The Athletes To Watch At The Rio Olympics?
- At The Olympics, Some Athletes Find Themselves Torn Between Two Countries
- U.S. Women Take Center Stage At The Rio Olympics
- U.S. Olympic Swimmer Jenny Thompson, 8-Time Gold Medalist, Reflects On Her 4 Games
- 3-Time U.S. Olympic Medalist: Fencing Experience 'Translates To Everything Else In My Life'
- How Some Marketers Are Trying To Crash The Olympic Party