This year California has seen more than 5,800 wildfires consume nearly 800 square miles of mountain, desert and rural terrain.
Once the flames are tamed, though, the job is far from over.
Sharon McNary from KPCC in Los Angeles went out to the Pilot Fire last month in San Bernardino County and met the people who make sure the fire stays out.
This segment aired on September 13, 2016.
- How Californians Are Trying To Protect Homes In Fire-Prone Regions
- Washington State Wildfire Destroys Sensitive Habitat On National Land
- Louisiana Floods, California Fires Are Latest Climate Catastrophes
- More Wildfires To Come In California As More Than 80,000 Evacuated From Homes
- Fires And Floods In California And Louisiana