It's Banned Books Month, and librarians in Washington, D.C. have hidden copies of books that were once banned, such as "The Catcher In The Rye" and "Native Son," throughout the city. Other libraries across the country are holding scavenger hunts online.
Here & Now's Robin Young speaks with Linnea Hegarty, executive director of the D.C. Public Library Foundation.
Here's the full list of banned books that will be hidden around the District:
- "The Catcher in the Rye," by J.D. Salinger
- "The Color Purple," by Alice Walker
- "Native Son," by Richard Wright
- "Slaughterhouse Five," by Kurt Vonnegut
- "A Separate Peace," by John Knowles
- "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," by Ken Kesey
This segment aired on September 14, 2016.