Aleppo is under siege and anti-Assad activists in Britain say there have been more than 20 airstrikes on the eastern side of the divided city.
Rebels are also shelling government-held parts of the city.
CBS correspondent Elizabeth Palmer is in Syria, and joins Here & Now's Robin Young to describe conditions there.
This segment aired on October 13, 2016.
- Before It Was A Battleground, Aleppo Was The 'Jewel Of Syria'
- Video Offers Rare, Graphic Glimpse Of The Carnage In Aleppo
- UN Suspends Aid Drive In Syria After Airstrike
- Bombs Continue To Fall On Aleppo As Civilians Fight To Survive
- Agonizing Wait For Injured Trapped In Aleppo As Assad's Army Advances