Thousands of foreign fighters have joined the ISIS cause, traveling to the Middle East to fight alongside members of the group. That's raised concern that they might carry out attacks when they return to their home countries.
A new German report found that worry may be warranted — it says about half the 800 recruits studied remain committed to the ISIS ideology.
This segment aired on December 1, 2016.
- New Book Explores Structure Of ISIS, Other Insurgencies
- Where Did ISIS Really Come From?
- How — And Why — Terrorist Groups Take Responsibility For Attacks
- What Does 'Radical Islam' Mean?
- Chuck Hagel, Former Defense Secretary And GOP Senator, On ISIS And The Election
- CNN Correspondent Describes Terror Of Being Trapped By ISIS In Mosul