Lawsuits against two meat companies claim a Massachusetts girl and a Rhode Island boy were sickened by ground beef contaminated by E. coli bacteria.
The lawsuits filed Tuesday in Plymouth Superior Court say the children were hospitalized but are now recovering.
A lawsuit against Brockton-based South Shore Meats says 11-year-old Austin Richmond of Lincoln, R.I., became ill Oct. 17 after he ate a hamburger at a Massachusetts youth camp.
The second lawsuit, against Ashville, N.Y-based Fairbank Farms, claims 12-year-old Andrea Munro of Marshfield became ill Sept. 28 after eating meat from that company.
Each company has recently recalled meat health officials linked to separate E. coli outbreaks.
A spokeswoman for Fairbank Farms declined comment Tuesday. South Shore Meats did not immediately return phone messages.
This program aired on November 3, 2009. The audio for this program is not available.