LISTEN LIVE: Loading...



Nantucket CO Poisoning Puts 11 In Hospitals

This article is more than 12 years old.

Eleven people were transported Saturday to Nantucket Cottage Hospital due to a carbon monoxide emergency likely resulting from on a faulty heater, state and local officials said.

According to state and local authorities, the victims probably were poisoned by carbon monoxide Friday night in a Nantucket home. Police said five people were found unconscious in the basement apartment. Police officers and firefighters removed six others from apartments on the upper floors.

Four police officers and a firefighter also were sent to the hospital for exposure to carbon monoxide, state officials said.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said the CO detectors in the home did not have functioning batteries and 11 people "came close to death" from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning. "This is a reminder why it is so important to have working carbon monoxide detectors," said Coan.

Nantucket Fire Chief Mark McDougall said the emergency stretched the island's resources but praised emergency workers for helping the victims.

State officials said the possible carbon monoxide poisoning is still under investigation.

This program aired on April 17, 2011. The audio for this program is not available.


Listen Live