Support the news

$90M Worth Of Tornado Damage Claims Filed So Far

This article is more than 8 years old.

More than 5,000 homeowners in Massachusetts have filed $90 million worth of insurance claims following last week's deadly tornadoes, according to state officials.

The state Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation says it is the largest figure for any single natural disaster in state history. Officials say the claims are expected to grow as data continues to come in from insurance carriers.

Springfield Mayor Dominic Sarno is among those warning residents to make sure they are using licensed contractors for any repairs.

"There are unscrupulous, despicable individuals out there that will look to prey on people who have been traumatized right now, preying on their fears, preying on their emotions," Sarno said.

Undersecretary of Consumer Affairs Barbara Anthony echoed Sarno's point.

"If the job isn't done right, if a promise isn't kept, if you're losing money, we can help you get it back," Anthony said. "If you use one of these fly-by-night guys coming over the border, we're not going to be able to do a lot to help you."

The state has a list of registered contractors on its website.

Tornado Coverage:

This program aired on June 7, 2011. The audio for this program is not available.

+Join the discussion
TwitterfacebookEmail

Support the news