Support the news

Mass. Health Officials Approve Regulations On Student Concussions

This article is more than 8 years old.

In a timely change given the rough hit in Monday's Boston Bruins game that left forward Nathan Horton with a severe concussion, there are new rules about concussions for student athletes in the state.

The Department of Public Health on Wednesday unanimously approved regulations that require students with concussions to be removed from games or practices.

The state's medical director, Dr. Lauren Smith, says the vote will help schools and parents.

"We really made an effort to add flexibility to schools, to allow them more ability to streamline and make their own school policies fit their school districts and what their resources and capacities are," Smith said.

"It's important to note that this law was actually passed last July of last year, the actual rules and requirements have been in effect since then."

The new rules also require training for school athletic officials.

This program aired on June 8, 2011. The audio for this program is not available.

+Join the discussion
TwitterfacebookEmail

Support the news