Girl's Disappearance Rattles Tiny N.H. Town

The disappearance of an 11-year-old girl from her house just a mile from the Canadian border has rattled nerves in her small town as crews Wednesday searched the Connecticut River.

Celina Cass was last seen in her house in tiny Stewartstown Monday night around 9 p.m., and was gone the next morning, authorities said. Police have said there's no indication she ran away or that someone took her, and there are no signs of a struggle.

"Honestly, we don't know where else we can look," said Lt. Douglas Gralenski, a state Fish and Game official whose agency is assisting state police in searching the river. "There's so much that's unknown."

State and federal law enforcement officials scoured a half-mile perimeter around the family home on Tuesday, and family, friends and neighbors held a vigil for her near the house that night.

Her stepfather, Wendell Noyes, described Celina as a quiet girl who would not have left the home on her own. He declined to comment further, adding "I'm not really at liberty to say anything."

Shannon Towles, who owns Towles Mini-Mart on Route 3, said Celina's disappearance has shaken the town of 800.

"It's creepy," she said. "Things like this don't happen here. I know that's kind of a tired phrase. I'm an overprotective mom as it is. Now it's going to be way worse."

Towles, whose daughter is best friends with Celina's 13-year-old sister, said Celina is not the type to hitchhike or run away. "She's just a little girl and she's a nice little girl."

Gralenski said Wednesday that a small boat with an officer and fishing guide was searching the river about a quarter of a mile from her home. He said the river was lowered Tuesday to help with the search. The river runs between New Hampshire and Vermont, where state police also have helped with the search.

"It's not a deep river. You'd be hard-pressed to find six to eight feet in most of it in that area," he said. "When we had it drawn down, it was exceptionally low." That allowed the U.S. Border Patrol to search by helicopter and some officers to search the river by kayak before severe thunderstorms passed through Tuesday afternoon.

At the peak of the search Tuesday, Gralenski said there were at least three dozen officers, New England K-9 handlers, and a search and rescue group assisting by water, air, and land, including ATV trails in the woods.

"We found no evidence that she had been in that area and of course, we have no evidence she is lost as opposed to missing, either," he said.


The area is densely wooded and there's little to no cell phone reception.

In addition to the river search Wednesday, some officers were searching areas where some of the dog teams showed some interest, Gralenski said.

Towles said in addition to her stepfather and sister, Celina lives with her mother, Louisa Noyes, who works part-time at a consignment shop in Colebrook. Her father is very ill and is hospitalized, she said.

Towles said her daughter asked her if she thought Celina was still alive.

"How do I answer that question? And do I want to? I don't want to think about it, but I pray every second that she is," Towles said.

This program aired on July 27, 2011. The audio for this program is not available.


More from WBUR

Listen Live