Support the news

15-Year-Old Girl Dies Of Gloucester Fire Injuries

This article is more than 7 years old.

A 15-year-old girl has died from injuries suffered when she was trapped in a smoky fire at her home in Gloucester.

Deputy Fire Chief Stephen Aiello said a firefighter who helped get the girl out of the house Tuesday night was a former neighbor who knew her. Aiello said the girl's 17-year-old brother had tried to rescue her, but couldn't reach her through the intense smoke and fire. Firefighters who finally reached her found her unconscious.

The Essex District Attorney's office identified the girl as Victoria McCabe Schmelzer. She died Wednesday at a Boston hospital.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan and Gloucester Fire Chief Eric Smith said the fire started when combustible material came in contact with a lamp in a bedroom next to the one where the girl was found on the home's second floor.

This program aired on April 10, 2013. The audio for this program is not available.

Support the news