Support the news
A bright and sunny morning will fade into a cloudy afternoon with highs in the 20s. If you are doing any errands around the area or heading to friends for a party this evening the weather will remain dry and chilly throughout.
Very early Monday morning, snow will break out across the region. The snow will quickly become heavy. I expect many people will stay off the roads during the morning commute, as schools will likely be cancelled in most areas and some businesses will also tell employees to work from home. Many of you can do your jobs out of the house, so there isn’t as much lost productivity as there would have been even 10 years ago.
Boston could have 6 to 8 inches on the ground by 1 p.m. with a couple of more inches accumulating in the afternoon and early evening.
Monday's evening commute will be better than the morning, but certainly not great. Snow will be ending during that time, and temperatures will also fall.
Along the south coast, Cape Cod and the Islands, there is going to be a mix with sleet, freezing rain and even rain during Monday morning and first part of the afternoon. Those areas furthest south, like Nantucket, will see the least snow, because of the warmer temperatures will give them more rain.
By mid-evening, skies will slowly be clearing from west to east, and you might get a glimpse of the moon very late at night, which is almost full.
Cold and dry weather continues for Tuesday with a chance of flurries or a slight snow shower during the middle of the week. The arctic air remains in place, and while there will be days of less intense cold, the theme is going to be for below average temperatures for at least the next two weeks.
- Sunday: Sunshine, then increasingly cloudy. Highs 25-30.
- Sunday night: Snow developing after midnight. Light accumulation by dawn. Lows 7-14.
- Monday: Snow — and it could be heavy at times, especially the first part of the day. Highs in the mid 20s in Boston and lower 30s south of the city. In the north and west, temperatures will be in the teens.
- Monday night: Early snow then blustery and cold. Lows 2-12.
- Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high 15-20.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, and cold with highs in the teens
You can follow David’s weather updates on Twitter at @growingwisdom.
This article was originally published on February 01, 2015.
This segment aired on February 1, 2015.
Support the news