Support the news

Amateur Repair Led To Taunton Home Explosion, Officials Say

This article is more than 3 years old.

Investigators say a Massachusetts woman who was trying to perform repairs on her house ended up blowing it up instead.

The homeowner escaped from her Taunton residence before the fire and explosion Sunday afternoon. No one was hurt.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan and Fire Chief Timothy Bradshaw said Monday that the woman was trying to repair her gas-fueled hot water heater and inadvertently removed the gas shut-off valve. This allowed gas to pour into the basement, where it ignited.

The house is considered a total loss.

+Join the discussion
TwitterfacebookEmail

Support the news