The jury in the Massachusetts murder trial of a man charged with killing a 2-year-old girl who became known as Baby Doe has deliberated for about two hours without reaching a verdict and has left for the day.
Michael McCarthy is accused of killing the daughter of his ex-girlfriend Rachelle Bond in 2015.
McCarthy's lawyer told jurors during closing arguments Tuesday the girl's mother is the real killer and created a "web of lies" to blame him.
A prosecutor conceded Rachelle Bond behaved badly but said there's no evidence she killed her daughter.
Deliberations are set to resume Wednesday.
The little girl's body washed ashore on a Boston Harbor island. A composite image of the girl was shared by millions of people on social media after she was dubbed Baby Doe by authorities trying to determine her identity.
This article was originally published on June 20, 2017.
- Mom Says Man Injected Her With Drugs After 'Baby Doe' Death
- Mother Of Bella Bond Admits Lying To Others After Baby's Death
- Mother Of 'Baby Doe' Takes The Stand, Says She Saw Ex-Boyfriend Kill The Toddler
- Testimony Begins In 'Baby Doe' Murder Trial
- Mother Pleads Guilty To Accessory Charge In 'Baby Doe' Case