President Trump sought to strike a unifying tone with his first State of the Union address, but some of his rhetoric was aimed clearly at his base on immigration and his promise to put "America First."
NPR reporters added context and analysis to the president's remarks in real time.
Editor's Note from NPR: The transcript will be updated throughout the speech. While we are working to correct errors, it may contain discrepancies and typographical errors.
- Watch: President Trump Delivers His First State Of The Union Speech
- Trump: 'The State Of Our Union Is Strong Because Our People Are Strong'
- Watch: Congressman Kennedy Delivers Democratic Response To Trump's State Of The Union Speech
- Rep. Kennedy's State Of The Union Rebuttal, Annotated
- Ahead Of Trump's Speech, A State Of Disunion On Capitol Hill
- The State Of Our Politics Is Divided, Mistrustful And Engaged