Support the news

Brockton Teacher May Have Saved A Student From Fire

A Massachusetts fourth grade teacher may have saved a student after a fire broke out during online class.

Raymond School teacher Elizabeth Doyle said it’s been common in remote learning to occasionally hear a beep from a smoke detector with a low battery but this was something more, the Enterprise reported.

Doyle said that after the class returned from lunch, Teresa Rosario, 9, was yelling that her fire alarm was going off.

Doyle said she muted the rest of the class to focus on Rosario.

“I could hear the fire alarm,” Doyle said. “I asked her, ‘Do you see fire? Do you see smoke? Do you smell smoke?’ She’s like, ‘I smell smoke,’ so I’m like, ‘Oh, my God, is anyone home? Get out of the house. Get ’em out.”

Rosario and her sisters exited the home.

Doyle then closed the Zoom classroom when she realized that the situation may be traumatic for other students. She then located two phones and called Rosario and the Brockton Fire Department.

The firefighters found a “contents fire” in the basement where an incense fell into a pile of clothes. The fire was contained to a small area.

Deputy Fire Chief Edward Williams said that Doyle likely prevented a larger fire.

Support the news