Support the news

What To Expect With Hurricane Season Approaching05:08
Download

Play
This GOES-16 GeoColor satellite image taken Saturday, May 26, 2018, at 21:30 UTC, and provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), shows Subtropical Storm Alberto in the the Gulf of Mexico. (NOAA via AP)
This GOES-16 GeoColor satellite image taken Saturday, May 26, 2018, at 21:30 UTC, and provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), shows Subtropical Storm Alberto in the the Gulf of Mexico. (NOAA via AP)
This article is more than 1 year old.

With Kimberly Atkins 

Hurricane season approaches. We'll learn what to expect, and what regions will be affected.

Guest:

Gerry Bell, lead seasonal hurricane forecaster at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center.

From The Reading List: 

NOAA: "Forecasters predict a near- or above-normal 2018 Atlantic hurricane season" — "Forecasters predict a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season for the upcoming hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to November 30.

'With the advances made in hardware and computing over the course of the last year, the ability of NOAA scientists to both predict the path of storms and warn Americans who may find themselves in harm’s way is unprecedented,' said Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross. 'The devastating hurricane season of 2017 demonstrated the necessity for prompt and accurate hurricane forecasts.'

NOAA’s forecasters predict a 70-percent likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 5 to 9 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 1 to 4 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes."

2018 Atlantic tropical cyclone names. (Courtesy NOAA)
2018 Atlantic tropical cyclone names. (Courtesy NOAA)

This segment aired on May 31, 2018.

+Join the discussion
TwitterfacebookEmail

Support the news