This week, we talk about the difficulties of holding down a job but having no home to go to at the end of the day.
We also look at the growing number of homeless families in Massachusetts. There are nearly 1,200 families living in transitional housing or shelters across the state. The Department of Education says Massachusetts has 40,000 homeless schoolchildren. In Boston, 40 of the homeless are working.
- To find out more about transitional services near you, visit the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance.
- If you know a family that needs help you can find a list of family shelters at the Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless.
- The Pettingill Houseis featured in this show. It helps more than 2,000 people a year in Salisbury.
- Homes for Families, Boston
- Horizons for Homeless Children, Boston
Shelters in and around Boston:
David Boeri traveled to Salisbury and spoke with homeless families who live in seasonal shelters. He brought back this video.
This program aired on December 21, 2007. The audio for this program is not available.