David Sloan, a Key West, Florida-based baker and author of The Ultimate Key Lime Pie Cookbook is serving up a "slice" of the Sunshine State in snowy Boston. He's preparing the world's largest key lime pie in Boston's South Station.
The piewill be nine feet in diameter and weigh about a thousand pounds, containing 55 gallons of sweetened condensed milk and the juice of nearly 6,000 key limes. Approximately 2,000 servings will be dished out at 4PM.
David Sloan's Ultimate Key Lime Pie Recipe
The Ultimate Crust:
1 cup Honey Graham Crackers
1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios
7 oz. salted sweet cream butter
¼ cup light brown sugar
¼ tsp cardamom
- Divide butter into 1 oz. slices. Place in small bowl and microwave at 20-second increments until melted.
- Place Graham Crackers in a large plastic bag and roll with rolling pin until finely crushed. Measure 1 cup and place in a medium bowl. Repeat procedure for Honey Nut Cheerios.
- Add brown sugar to the bowl.
- Slowly add butter and hand mix until even consistency is obtained.
- Press mixture into 9” pie pan working from center of pan to outer edge.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
The Ultimate Filling:
6 large egg yolks
½ pint soft vanilla ice cream
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
½ cup Key Lime juice
- Place egg yolks in a medium bowl and beat for one minute.
- Slowly add sweetened condensed milk and beat for six minutes more.
- Add ice cream and mix until smooth.
- Blend in Key Lime juice.
- Add ingredients to pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Place pie on a cooling rack in the freezer for at least one hour. Remove 20 minutes prior to serving. Add whipped cream, garnish and enjoy.
This segment aired on February 5, 2015.