Support the news

State's Protection Agency Under Fire After Abused Child In Coma09:12
Download

Play
This article is more than 5 years old.

The state's child welfare agency is facing questions about whether it did enough to protect a 7-year-old boy from Hardwick who is now hospitalized and in a coma.

The Department of Children and Families now acknowledges that it had been involved with the family of the boy who nearly starved to death since February.

Guests

Gail Garinger, Child Advocate of the Commonwealth.

More

The Boston Globe: DCF Visited Hardwick Child’s Home Before Abuse Claim

  • "A social worker with the state’s child protection agency visited the Hardwick home of a 7-year-old boy in late June, just two weeks before he fell into a coma after apparently being starved and dehydrated, state officials said Thursday. The state’s Department of Children & Families said the boy and his father, who is charged with gravely abusing his son, 'voluntarily' received services from the agency, and had been seen three times this month by staff from an authorized service provider. A social worker visited the home in this Central Massachusetts town June 29."

Support the news