Support the news

New Settlements Reached In Clergy Sex Abuse Cases In Boston Area04:58
Download

Play
Cardinal Sean O'Malley at the archdiocese offices in Braintree. (Jesse Costa/WBUR)
Cardinal Sean O'Malley at the archdiocese offices in Braintree. (Jesse Costa/WBUR)

Ten recent settlements were made involving people who say they were sexually abused by Catholic clergy. Seven settlements were with the Archdiocese of Boston, according to lawyer Mitchell Garabedian.

The settlements were reached for cases from the 1930s to the 1980s and totaled over $750,000 in cash and counseling.

Guest

Anne Barrett Doyle, co-director of Bishop Accountability, she tweets @barrett_doyle.

More

WBUR: Boston Archdiocese Settles With 7 Alleged Victims Of Abuse

  • "In a statement, spokesman Terry Donilon said the archdiocese is 'committed to addressing cases of clergy abuse in a compassionate and just manner.' He also said the archdiocese does not generally comment on individual settlements."

The Boston Globe: Boston Archdiocese Settles With Seven Alleged Victims Of Clergy Abuse

  • "The Archdiocese of Boston has agreed to settlements involving cash and counseling with seven people who say they were sexually abused by priests, sometimes for years, according to the attorney for the alleged victims. Two other settlements with religious orders have been reached in cases involving priests who allegedly abused victims while they worked in the archdiocese, according to the attorney, Mitchell Garabedian. Another, separate settlement with the Carmelite Order involved a brother who had been accused of abuse in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles before being assigned to a chapel at the Northshore Mall in Peabody."

This segment aired on March 28, 2016.

+Join the discussion
TwitterfacebookEmail

Support the news