BOSTON — A 33-year-old Boston ex-con has been arraigned on murder and other charges in the killings of four people in the city’s Mattapan neighborhood, including a 2-year-old boy and his mother.
In a courtroom packed with relatives and friends of the victims, not guilty pleas were entered Tuesday for Dwayne Moore. Moore is charged with four counts of murder, one count of assault with intent to murder, and armed robbery, home invasion and related firearms offenses.
He was ordered held without bail.
Assistant District Attorney Edmond Zabin said Moore lived with Simba Martin, one of the victims of the Sept. 28 attack, for part of this summer at Martin’s Sutton Street residence, and that Moore knew that Martin kept drugs and cash there. Zabin said Moore and another man charged in the case, Kimani Washington, robbed the home and later took the victims outside.
“At some point, at the conclusion of the robbery, the individuals were marched up the street to Woolson Street right around the corner,” Zabin said, “where they were all shot multiple times.”
Zabin said cell phone records show Moore contacted Martin just before the incident — and contacted Washington after the incident.
Moore’s court-appointed lawyer asked that his client not have to appear in the courtroom and said his client “vehemently denies” the allegations. Moore is due back in court Dec. 22
Moore was released from prison earlier this year after serving 10-15 years for manslaughter. Moore and Washington knew one another from state prison, Zabin said.
Washington was charged earlier in the investigation with weapons violations, receiving a stolen car, drug trafficking and being a career criminal. He pleaded not guilty and his lawyer has said he “unequivocally denies” hurting anyone.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.