WBUR

Survivor Of Quadruple Shooting Testifies Again

BOSTON — The lone survivor of a 2010 shooting in Boston’s Mattapan neighborhood that left four dead — including a young mother and her 2-year-old son —  testified Friday about his newly recalled memories of the night he was shot.

Testifying by video conference from an undisclosed location, Marcus Hurd, who was shot in the back of the head and left paralyzed from the neck down, said that he lied when he told police and a grand jury that he did not see his attackers’ faces.

Shooting victim Marcus Hurd testifies in Boston's Suffolk Superior Court on March 7, 2012. (AP/The Boston Globe, Pool)

Shooting victim Marcus Hurd testifies in Boston’s Suffolk Superior Court on March 7, 2012. (AP/The Boston Globe, Pool)

“Where I come from, they gonna look at me as being a rat, a snitch,” Hurd said. “So I did withhold information from law enforcement.”

Hurd says he can now identify the man who shot him as Dwayne Moore.

“Do I know the guy, can I recognize the guy who shot me? Yes, I can,” Hurd said.

Earlier this year, at the trial of two men charged in that shooting, Hurd testified that he could not identify either one.

“I couldn’t see none of their face, no skin,” he said then. “So I would assume they have on ski masks up under the hoodies.”

Defendant Edward Washington was acquitted, but it was a hung jury for Moore, who’s facing a retrial.

Moore’s attorney John Amabile wants Hurd’s new testimony blocked.

A Suffolk Superior Court judge will determine whether to allow the new testimony in the retrial.

Please follow our community rules when engaging in comment discussion on wbur.org.
Most Popular