MIT Plans To Release Swartz-Related Documents
Related Coverage: Aaron Swartz

- Investigative Report: Ortiz Critics Say Swartz Tragedy Is Evidence Of Troublesome Pattern
- 3/13/13 At MIT Memorial For Aaron Swartz, Criticism And Introspection
- 3/7/13: Aaron Swartz’s Father On MIT’s Handling Of Case: ‘Something I’ll Never Recover From’
- 2/5/13: Swartz Remembered In D.C.
- 1/16/13: Ortiz Defends Charges Against Swartz
- 1/16/13: Retired Federal Judge Joins Criticism Over Handling Of Swartz Case
- 1/15/13: Swartz Father Blames ‘Government’
- 1/15/13: Prosecution’s Case Against Swartz Draws Scrutiny
- 1/14/13: MIT To Analyze Its Role In Swartz Case
- 1/13/13: Reddit Co-Founder Dies Before Trial
- 2011: Cambridge Man Charged With Stealing Documents From MIT
- Op-Ed: We Need A Better Sense Of Justice, And Shame
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — The president of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has announced that the school will voluntarily make public some documents related to the prosecution of late Internet freedom activist Aaron Swartz.
President L. Rafael Reif in an email to the MIT community Tuesday said the documents will be released “in the spirit of fairness, balanced with responsibility.” He said the university would block out names and identifying information of employees and information about network vulnerabilities.
Lawyers for Swartz’s estate last week asked the federal court in Boston to release the documents in the case without names blocked out.
Swartz killed himself in January. He was facing a prison sentence for allegedly gaining access to academic articles from an MIT computer archive.
Reif said the documents would be released in the future.